Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements.
1. Come worship with us at 9:30 on Sunday! Due to technical issues, we are not able to livestream our worship service. You are welcome to watch the service on our YouTube channel on Monday.
Pastor Ioan will be delivering the message based on John 6:56-69. Here is a devotion based on that text:
In Minnesota we have two seasons: winter and road construction. During road construction season, detours become a way of life. These detours take drivers off their normal familiar routes and it’s easy to get lost or frustrated. If you’ve ever tried making up your own detour to save time, it’s likely that you’ve ended up in a completely different place than you intended to go.
It may be jarring to read that many people heard Jesus preaching and decided to turn back and no longer follow him. However, the twelve disciples, led by Simon Peter, respond “Lord, to whom can we go?” Following Jesus doesn’t guarantee our journey will be easy and the roads will be smooth. Through the love of Christ, however, getting to our destination is not something we do on our own. We confidently proclaim that Jesus has the words of eternal life—this is the way to go. – John Klawitter
2. Covid reminder: social distance and masks are an option and stay home to rest if you aren’t feeling well.
3. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, August 22, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers (need two): Tim & Jacque Mohs; Reader: Jim Nelson; Sound: Lori Paup; Videographer: Alan Paup; Musician: Georgine Bellamy; Counters: Jen Acton, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: Debi Martens; Communion Servers (need two): NEEDED
4. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, August 29, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers (need two): NEEDED; Reader: Ted Leonard; Sound: Lori Paup; Videographer: Debii Martens; Musician: NEEDED; Singer: NEEDED; Counters: Steve Dick, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: Debi Martens; Communion Servers (need two): NEEDED
5.Sunday Bible Study: Bible Study is canceled this Sunday. Enjoy chatting at coffee fellowship instead. See you next Sunday when we resume.
6. God Squad Volunteer Meeting: This Sunday Aug. 22nd at 10:30 a.m. God Squad volunteers are meeting to go over God Squad schedule, room assignments, curriculum access & any questions folks might have. We will meet in the frontmost big classroom by the church office right after church. Thank you for your openness to helping this important ministry that teaches God’s love to our children.
7. Sunday Evening Bible Study: St. Paul is resuming a Sunday evening Christian education and discussion time on Sept 19th. We will begin at 5:30 p.m. with fellowship & prayer, and enter our study time at 6 p.m. We will be studying Romans for 4 sessions and then switch topics. Please consider if this opportunity to deepen your faithful life and connect to church members is what you may be needing coming out of these disconnected COVID times.
8. Semi-Annual Meeting St. Paul’s semi-annual meeting will be held in person, at the church, on August 29th, at 10:30. Items on the agenda include updating the budget, and ministry reports (Youth, Vision, “God’s Work, Our Feet”, Pastor’s report).
9. Transportation Ministry – St. Paul has begun an ongoing Transportation Ministry. Our first recipients on this transportation ministry are Ronnie and Shirley Addy who need transportation to Ronnie’s kidney dialysis three days a week in south Des Moines at Fresenius Kidney Care, 6651 SW 9th Street. His appointments begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at approximately 2:30 p.m. He needs to be picked up no later than 9:40 at North Ward, 415 N. 2nd Street, Winterset, at the south door of the east building. Ronnie will be unable to get into a high vehicle. Please contact Shirley with any questions 515-468-0121. Ronnie’s cell is 515-468-1982. You can choose to take Ronnie, pick him up, or do both.
Please use this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-transportation to SignUp Genius to indicate when you will are willing to drive Ronnie to and/or from his appointment. Please include your cell phone number in the comments. This is a long-term ministry, so check back often as SignUp Genius is updated.
10. God’s Work. Our Hands. Our Feet. Our congregation will soon engage in service work right here in our community. We are one of over 9,100 ELCA congregations participating in the “God’s work. Our hands.” day of service. Across the country, thousands of members will engage in service work to make a positive change in our communities, build and deepen relationships, and share God’s love. Join us as we do God’s work with our hands! You can also show God’s love by participating in the CROP Hunger Walk. St. Paul’s day of service will be September 26, 2021. Following 9:30 worship, we will go out into the community to provide service between 10:30 and 12:00-12:30. Lunch will be served from 12:00-1:00. If needed, projects will be completed after lunch. You may choose to participate in the CROP Walk, which will follow at 2:00. We are gathering suggestions for the community projects. These can be for all ages, including family groups. Examples are clearing gardens, cleaning gutters, cleaning roadsides, and thank you notes to our civil servants. God’s Work is wide open! Projects will be announced on or before September 12. Please go to this link to provide suggestions for projects and to indicate your willingness to serve by August 31. https://forms.gle/YL6mFJBNmWYSiguV6 Paper copies of the suggestion form may be picked up from the church kiosk. Please return them to Ann Bartelt’s church mailbox and address questions to email@example.com or 515-418-3565. We look forward to participating in “God’s Work. Our Hands. Our Feet” day of service!
11. Part-Time Office Manager St. Paul Lutheran Church seeking qualified candidates for 20 hours a week Office Manager position. Click here for Job Description. Apply with a brief one page (no more than 200ish words) letter of interest to Pastor Ioan for consideration. Applications to be collected and reviewed until the position is filled.
12. Services for Jerry Swanson will be held on Saturday, August 21 at 2:00 pm at St. Paul Lutheran Church. Visitation will be prior to the service, from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm.
13. Meals from the Heartland – From Georgine: Times were filling up fast so I took the Saturday morning from 9-11 on September 4! I signed us up for 29 people It will be at their West Des Moines location again this year! Hair nets will be provided! Masks are optional at this time but I would recommend Mask! We will be packing larger food packs this year, some heavier lifting will be required! You’ll be standing for 2 hours so wear comfortable shoes! Families welcome, children should be at least 6 years old and accompanied by an adult! We will plan to meet Saturday morning, September 4 at the church be there ready to leave by 8:15. Sign up at church or call me! Please bring a friend! Learn more about Meals from the Heartland at. mealsfromtheheartland.org.
14. Wednesday Confirmation & God Squad Resuming: We are starting up our weekly Wednesday evening children and youth education programs on Sept. 15th. God Squad (4 yrs. to 6th grade) begins at 5:40 p.m. with a meal. Confirmation(7th & 8th grade) starts at 6 p.m. each Wednesday. Please email this form to Pastor Ioan to let us know you child with be attending.
15. Worship Service Helpers/Volunteers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30service, we need you!Please consider helping with St. Paul’s return to normalcy by volunteering. We especially need two Communion Servers for each Sunday to sign-up at this time, but there are lots of positions that need filling! 3 Easy ways to do it:
1. Use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul.
2. Volunteer Kiosk: We have set-up kiosks in the entryway.
3. Call the Church office- 515-462-4270
16. Free Sunshine! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, and get your dose of Vitamin D, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net