Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements!
1. We are excited to announce that we will be offering the choice of gathering in person again beginning this coming Sunday, February 28 at 9:30 am. Current 14-day Madison County COVID positivity rates have trended down for several weeks and are currently at 8% (2/17/21). Please understand that your Council does not make this choice lightly and please understand that worshiping in person IS a choice. If you do not feel safe or if you are showing any signs of illness, please continue to worship online. If you do feel like you can come in person, please be understanding of the need to continue to wear masks and social distance. There are a wide range of feelings, even in our own congregation about returning to in-person worship. Please be understanding and loving with all of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Let’s overflow with Grace for one another!
In the words of some good old Lutheran Hymns:
REJOICE, REJOICE, BELIEVERS we have determined that it is again time to offer the option of in-person worship.
NOW WE JOIN IN CELEBRATION AT OUR SAVIOR’S INVITATION to gather once again within the walls of St. Paul Lutheran Church.
FOR ALL THE SAINTS have lost touch with one another, let us find that community spirit once again.
GREET NOW THE SWIFTLY CHANGING YEAR – it has been decided to hold one service at 9:30 a.m. beginning February 28th.
WITH HIM AS LORD TO LEAD OUR WAY
IN WANT AND IN PROSPERITY,
WHAT NEED WE FEAR IN EARTH OR SPACE
IN THIS NEW YEAR OF GRACE
HOW BLESSED IS THE PLACE, O LORD, WHERE YOU ARE WORSHIPED AND ADORED and where we can prepare a safe environment for all in attendance.
NOW THE SILENCE is still requested, mask up, social distance and listen.
HOW GOOD LORD TO BE HERE, but we are in need of volunteers. Pat Nelson is recruiting readers and ushers so feel free to reach out to her. 515-468-0775
SONGS OF THANKFULLNESS AND PRAISE, JESUS, LORD, TO THEE WE RAISE, for people willing to run the power point and sound. Contact Pastor Ioan if you are willing to be trained. 515-419-5224
PRAISE AND THANKS AND ADORATION for a live stream operation. If you can run a video camera or are willing to learn, please contact Lonna Nielsen. 515-210-4086
JESUS, REFUGE OF THE WEARY, open our hearts for whatever way we decide to worship, even during these unprecedented times.
SOON AND VERY SOON we can get back to a more normal service but until that time we will remain one community of brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter where we are.
2. Please join us as we worship in-house this week, February 28, 9:30 am. Pastor Ioan will be delivering a message based on Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16. Below is a devotion based on that Scripture:
In the Bible, when someone’s name is changed, it marks a change in their life story, usually instigated by an encounter with God. After wrestling with God, Jacob becomes Israel (Gen 32). After encountering Jesus, Saul becomes Paul (Acts 9). In this story, God makes a covenant with Abram and Sarai and renames them Abraham and Sarah. And the covenant is this: that in their old age, they will have a son; that they will be the ancestors to a great nation; and that God will “be God to you and to your offspring after you” (17:7). It is an astounding promise, and indeed, Abraham falls on his face with laughter at the thought that he and Sarah could have a child. But the God who makes that promise is, as Paul later says, one “who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist” (Rom 4:17).
In this Lenten season, we remember that it is that same God who gives us life and calls us into existence through baptism. In that gracious encounter, God has claimed us and named us, too, with a new name: Christian. – Kathryn Schifferdecker
3. Virtual Sunday Bible Study *TIME CHANGE* – We gather this Sunday February 28th primarily in-person at church at 10:15 a.m. We will discuss whether to continue Sunday Bible Study in-person and or on Zoom. We will also discuss the new time for Sunday Bible Sunday as worship will be at 9:30 for the time being. Pastor Ioan will also log-in to Zoom at 10:15 a.m. for those who can’t be there in-person but want to be part of the decision making.
To access Zoom on Sundays at 10:15 a.m. click the link below and enter the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode. Or call by phone the below number and then follow the prompts to dial the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode number.
Zoom Sunday Bible Study Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89973259796?pwd=ODNtTTlCZjd2ZHNyUHNRS1oyV0hYQT09
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
Dial-In by Phone:
+1 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
4. Virtual Sunday School – Sunday, February 28, 8 am on our YouTube channel – Call the kids over and have a short time for worship dedicated to our preschool to early/middle elementary age kids.
5. Lenten Opportunities – For the next four Wednesdays we will be exploring prayer and practical ways to engage prayer. There will be an in-person option for folks at 10:30am in the sanctuary and virtual option on Zoom at 7pm. Here is how to access Zoom/Dial in:
Mar 3, 2021 07:00 PM
Mar 10, 2021 07:00 PM
Mar 17, 2021 07:00 PM
Mar 24, 2021 07:00 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 892 4388 6782
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,89243886782#,,,,*1120# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,89243886782#,,,,*1120# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 892 4388 6782
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kJxB3Ewcd
6. Pastor Ioan is available for one-one-one conversation and in-home communion. Please feel free to reach out to him. firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-419-5224.
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net