1. Look for the St. Paul Worship Service opportunity coming to you first thing this Sunday morning in Epistle #85. Pastor Brian will be sharing a message on “How My Dad Helped Me With My Baseball Career.”
2. Pastor Brian’s Final Sunday Message will be next Sunday, August 16th, as he wraps up his year of intentional interim ministry work with us. Pastor and his wife, Sheri, would like to say farewell and thank the members of St. Paul for the opportunity to serve in partnership with us. We know that many of you have expressed interest in expressing appreciation for them. Thus, we will be holding a “drive through” farewell reception for them on the 16th from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at the front door of the church. We invite members to drive to the church and have a brief distanced visit to say farewell to them as our transition chapter comes to a great conclusion.
3. At its (virtual) assembly last week, the Southeastern Iowa Synod elected the Rev. Amy Current to the office of bishop, on the fifth ballot, with 178 votes. The Rec. Erika Uthe received 173 votes. Rev. Current is currently serving as Vice President of Admissions and Student Services at Wartburg Seminary. She graduated from Concordia College, Moorhead Minnesota, received an M. Div from Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa and was ordained in 1997. Thanks to St. Paul voting delegates Darrell and Lisa Vossekuil, and Pastor Brian for representing our congregation. Also a word of appreciation and thanks to St. Paul member Julie Feier who chaired the Bishop Election Committee. Keep Bishop-Elect Current and her family in your prayers, along with retiring Bishop MIchael Burk and his wife Diane, as well as the entire Synod staff during this time of transition.
4. Speaking of retiring Synod staff, the key player on Bishop Burk’s staff who worked closely with our Call Committee and Pastor Brian throughout this process, Pastor Paul Ostrem, will be our guest preacher for Sunday, August 23rd. Pastor Ostrem has worked with churches going through transition in the Synod for 12 years now, and has something of value to say about exciting times such as these! Don’t miss it!
5. Special volunteer need: There is a man in Winterset who is in need of transportation to Des Moines for a dental appointment on August 25th. If you are able to help, please call the church office at 515-462-4270.
6. Pray without ceasing! These are exciting, but oh so busy and full times for Pastor Ioan, his fiance Deb, and his mother, Dumitra, as they prepare for their eastward journey to be with us!
Church office email: StPaulLutheranChurch@hotmail.com
Pastor Brian Mortenson email: StPaulPastor1941@gmail.com
Pastoral Emergencies: 605-351-0867
Church office phone: 515-462-4270