Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements!
1. Please join us as we worship in-house this week, April 11, 9:30 am. You are also welcome to watch the service livestreamed at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday on our YouTube channel found at this link:
For the health and safety of all those attending in-house worship we ask those attending to adhere to our COVID safety guidelines that include:
- · Wearing a mask while on church property
- · Maintaining 6ft distance from people outside your household
- · Greeting each other with a wave or similar distanced sign of welcome
Pastor Ioanwill be delivering a message based on 1 John 1:1-2:2. Below is a devotion based on that Scripture:
Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote in “Life Together” about the dangers of the Wish Dream. This is the temptation we have to go into a faith community and impose all manner of perfection upon them. We know in our mind how people should behave, we know how churches should act. And, of course, we must be right! Yet, when the community fails to live up to the Wish Dream (and it will) the disillusionment often leads to conflict.
Bonhoeffer reminds us that we are all sinners with darkness dwelling somewhere within. Pretending we have no sin—either individually or communally—is deceptive and untruthful. Instead, Christ is the center of every worshipping community. Christ brings light to the darkness of our secrets and sins. Therefore, the more honest and open we are, the more healing can abound.
True fellowship, as 1 John tells us, begins with honesty, confession and forgiveness. The goal may not be to avoid the inevitable sins that come with communal living, but rather to avoid the big one: pretending we have no sin at all. – Siri Strommen Campbell
2. Sunday Bible Study: In Person or on Zoom – Bible Study meets at 10:30 a.m. following Sunday morning worship. During the class, Pastor Ioan invites questions, comments, and connections, as he expands upon the readings from the worship service. Join us either in-person, safely seated in the sanctuary, OR via zoom on which you can fully participate, using the link below.
To access Zoom on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. click the link below and enter the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode. Or call by phone the below number and then follow the prompts to dial the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode number.
Zoom Sunday Bible Study Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89973259796?pwd=ODNtTTlCZjd2ZHNyUHNRS1oyV0hYQT09
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
Dial-In by Phone:
+1 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
3. Virtual Sunday School – Sunday, April 11, 8 am on our YouTube channel – Call the kids over and have a short time for worship dedicated to our preschool to early/middle elementary age kids.
4. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, April 11, 9:30 am. – Greeter/Usher: Mark and Brenda Hollingsworth; Reader: Dick Anderson; Sound: Barb Kellogg; Videographer: Dick Anderson; Musician: Clarice Blanchard; Council Leader: Jacque Mohs; Counters: Kim Patience, Lisa Vossekuil
Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, April 18, 9:30 am. – Greeter/Usher: Dan and Lonna Nielsen; Reader: Linda Kenyon; Sound: Wayne Martens; Videographer: NEEDED; Musician: Georgine Bellamy; Singer: NEEDED; Council Leader: NEEDED; Counters: Dean Bartelt, Lisa Vossekuil
5. Worshp Service Helpers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30 worship, please use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul. You will be of big assistance to those who desire to worship in-person as we follow our safety protocols. Thank you for your service. (You can also call the church office to sign up 462-4270.)
6 VBS August 9th-12th: St. Paul is inviting Riverside Bible camp to lead Vacation Bible School for us on Aug. 9-12. The theme will be Brand New, based upon the scripture from Romans 6:4. “Just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.” There will also be a preschool portion in addition to the elementary age program. Both youth and adult volunteers from the church will be needed. Sheila Stewart and Pastor Ioan are actively search for a VBS coordinator to work with the camp staff and our volunteers, so if you feel so gifted or called to help our kids have a good summer experience in this way please call Sheila or Pastor Ioan.
7. Pastor Ioan will be out of the office through April 19. For pastoral emergencies through April 19, call Pastors Kevin & Sue Blader (First Christian Church of Winterset) at 515-468-1941. Next Sunday’s message will be brought to us by Leon Schwartz.
8. Spring has Sprung! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!
9. Have you registered for Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp? Please check out their week long Youth Camp, Ranch Camp & Adventure Camp: www.riversidelbc.org Through the generosity of the St. Paul Trust Fund we are offering a $300 campership per child for St. Paul families attending a week long camp at Riverside. It’s been a tough year, and the Trust Fund wants our kids to long forward to a joyful Summer. At the end of the registration process when you get to the payment section enter “SPW21” as your discount code and the $300 will be automatically applied in addition to the deposit families will also need to provide. If the deposit or remaining camp costs would still prevent your child from going to camp, please talk to the camp or Pastor Ioan and we will work something out so finances are the preventing factor.
https://youtu.be/Rmlm_ObRaW8 (Junior High – current 5th-8th graders)
https://youtu.be/JRkDqQ65YWU (High School – current 9th-12th graders)
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net