Good afternoon. Here are the Friday announcements!
1. Please join us as we worship virtually this week. A prerecorded worship will be available on our YouTube channel this Sunday by 8:00 a.m. Pastor Ioanwill be delivering a message based on 1 Corinthians 8:1-13. Below is a devotion based on that Scripture.
Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. I fear that my “knowledgeable,” puffed-up words and deeds have sometimes blown others out of the water. I know good people who no longer attend church because Christians so often seem small and mean to them. I am complicit.
We are fully held in the love of God no matter what we do or say: “Food will not bring us close to God.” What we eat, drink, wear, watch, read, say and even believe will not drive God away. However, everything we do and say influences our ability to love God and build up others.- Brenda Satrum
2. Virtual Sunday Bible Study – We gather virtually through Zoom at 9:15 am. We discuss the Scripture passage that the sermon for that Sunday focused on. In the sermon you hear one particular interpretation. In Bible Study we will use questions to approach the passage in a discussion style. We welcome insights into Scripture passage that you’ve gleaned in you over the years and more immediate feelings and thoughts that came to you that day. All are welcome to join in the discussion or listen.
To access Zoom on Sundays at 9:15 a.m. click the link below and enter the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode. Or call by phone the below number and then follow the prompts to dial the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode number.
Zoom Sunday Bible Study Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89973259796?pwd=ODNtTTlCZjd2ZHNyUHNRS1oyV0hYQT09
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
Dial-In by Phone:
+1 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
3. Virtual Sunday School – We miss having the joy of our kids at church and we know families are under strain with navigating a Covid world as well. We are offering kid-focused lessons to our Sunday prerecorded YouTube worship. Please be sure to download the activity sheet from the below link, which is also found in the YouTube description. Directly following our regular worship, you can stay tuned or call the kids over and have a short time for worship dedicated to our pre-school to early/middle elementary age kids.
4. Now more than ever, in the midst of a pandemic, food is greatly needed! So even though we meet virtually on Sundays, we are still planning to celebrate the Souper Bowl of Caring on February 7th. This is part of a nation-wide drive begun more than 20 years ago by a youth group. Here’s how you can help:
- Bring canned goods and non-perishable grocery items to the church and put in the grocery cart in the entryway.
- Write a check made out to Matura and place in the basket in the grocery cart in the entryway.
- Write a check made out to ELCA Hunger Fund and place in the pot in the grocery cart in the entryway or in the lockbox by the office door. Please do not make checks out to St. Paul or Twila Seibert.
- Donations will be taken from now through February 14th.
Last year 565 grocery items and $130 cash was taken to Matura. $1,966 was sent to ELCA Hunger Fund. Let’s see if we can beat those numbers this year! Thank you!
5. The St. Paul Annual Meeting for approving the 2021-22 budget and elections has been scheduled for Sunday, February 21st at 10:30 a.m. The format of the meeting will be a hybrid, which means that those that can attend virtually on their computers or phones do so, but we will make an in-person option available also for those who don’t have online capabilities. More information will be forthcoming.
6. Pool of Siloam – The needs are great this time of year. Please consider giving to this important ministry and remember that your financial gift is doubled!
7. News from the ELCA: “Dear Members of the ELCA in Iowa, We are providing “Covid: Public Health and the Church” as a resource for the three ELCA synods in Iowa. We are thankful to Dr. Ulysses Burley III for sharing his expertise with all who were able to gather on the 14th.”
8. Thank you to the canteen workers and treat bakers for our snowy January 26th Blood Drive, as well as to those who braved the elements to donate blood! 37 pints of blood were collected. Our next Blood Drive will be Tuesday, February 23rd from 2-7 pm. Call 800-287-4903 to schedule your appointment!
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net