Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements!
1. Come worship with us at 9:30 on Sunday! We are worshipping inside. You are welcome to watch the service livestreamed on our YouTube channel
Pastor Ioan will be delivering a sermon based on Ephesians 2:11-22. Below is a devotion based on that Scripture:
Circumcision is never a comfortable thing to think about or discuss, but we cannot read this passage from Ephesians 2 without running into that ugly biblical word that makes most of us squirm. In this case, the “c-word” is used as an example of something that divided people and led to hostility. There are many things that divide us today, from politics and wealth to sexuality and gender, not to mention race and religion. Jesus came not just as a new type of leader who got people from different groups to talk with each other. Jesus came to reconcile all people, regardless of their differences, “to God in one body through the cross.” The foundation of God’s kingdom is the proclamation of peace to all people (near and far), and it is built on the cornerstone of Jesus Christ, the One who has reconciled us together so that we are no longer strangers, but citizens of God’s household…forever. – Andy Jolivette
2. Pastor Ioan will be out of the office July 21-28. Sally Wilke will be leading worship on July 25.
3. Congregation COVID Guidelines Update – Masks are optional for all services and ministries at St Paul. Please come, worship, and be fed-we’ve missed you! We are also continuing to livestream Sunday services on our youtube channel, or you can catch the recording posted the next day. If you want to wear a mask, or keep some distance between yourself and others at any service or ministry, for any reason, please do so with St. Paul’s full blessing.
4.Transportation Ministry – St. Paul has begun an ongoing Transportation Ministry. Our first recipients on this transportation ministry are Ronnie and Shirley Addy who need transportation to Ronnie’s kidney dialysis three days a week in south Des Moines at Fresenius Kidney Care, 6651 SW 9th Street. His appointments begin at 9:30 a.m. and end at approximately1:30 p.m. He needs to be picked up no later than 8:40 at North Ward, 415 N. 2nd Street, Winterset, at the south door of the east building. Ronnie will be unable to get into a high vehicle. Please contact Shirley with any questions 515-468-0121. Ronnie’s cell is 515-468-1982.
Please use this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-transportation to SignUp Genius to indicate when you will are willing to drive Ronnie to and/or from his appointment. Please include your cell phone number in the comments. This is a long-term ministry, so check back often as SignUp Genius is updated.
5. Sunday Bible Study: Bible Study meets in person only at 10:30 a.m. following Sunday morning worship in the frontmost classroom by the front office. During the class, we invite questions, comments, and connections, as we expand upon the readings from the worship service.
6. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, July 18, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers: Dan & Lonna Nielsen; Reader: Pat Nelson; Sound: Jacque Mohs; Videographer: Tim Mohs; Musician: Lori Paup; Council Leader: NEEDED; Counters:Steve Dick, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: Nicole Darling; Communion Servers (need two): Marilyn Mount, Nicole Darling.
7. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, July 25, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers: Mark & Brenda Hollingsworth; Reader: Ted Leonard; Sound: Wayne Martens; Videographer: Debii Martens; Musician: Georgine Bellamy; Singer: Sue Hansen; Council Leader: NEEDED; Counters:Dan Nielsen, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: NEEDED; Communion Servers (need two): John & Kim Patience.
8. God Squad – St. Paul wants to bring back our4 year old through 6th grade Christian education ministry on Wednesday evenings, which we call God Squad. But we need volunteers to do that. If you can volunteer once a month to lead a specialized activity like art, music, science or games, please consider helping. If you can volunteer to teach a class each week, please consider helping. A church without kids is a church without a future. We want to return our ministry to as close to normal as possible in September, so the plan for God Squad is 5:40p-7:00p on Wednesdays throughout the school year starting September 15th, 2021. Please check out the various roles and program description on Sign-Up Genius:
9. VBS August 11th and 12th: It’s that time of year again and we are so excited to be able to have Vacation Bible School (VBS), in person!! VBS at St. Paul is held each summer, with curriculum and counselors provided by Riverside Bible Camp, as well as volunteers from St. Paul. VBS is open to students going into 1st through 6th grade. The program is from 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. August 11th and 12th and includes music, drama, Bible study, science, arts & crafts, outdoor games, and more. There is no charge for the program; however, non-perishable donations are welcome for our community. You can read more about the Riverside day camp program at their website; RiversideBible Camp.
The theme this year will be ‘Brand New’, based upon the scripture from Romans 6:4. “Just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
Both youth and adult volunteers from the church are needed!!!
Here is some additional information you may find helpful about VBS at St. Paul:
- All children entering 1st-6th grade are welcome
- Lunch, Snack and Beverage will be provided
- Volunteers are needed to help with supervising kids. This is an easy job that requires no advance planning! Just show up and provide a helping hand when asked. We do need to have volunteers committed to attend IN ADVANCE to make sure there is enough help and supervision.
10. Worship Service Helpers/Volunteers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30 service, we need you! Please consider helping with St. Paul’s return to normalcy by volunteering. We especially need two Communion Servers for each Sunday to sign-up at this time, but there are lots of positions that need filling! 3 Easy ways to do it:
1. Use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul.
2. Volunteer Kiosk: We have set-up kiosks in the entryway.
3. Call the Church office- 515-462-4270
11. Free Sunshine! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, and get your dose of Vitamin D, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!
12. Spotlight on LSI – Hali grew up in a home surrounded by addiction. Her own struggle with substance use and trauma continued for more than 20 years but when she learned she was pregnant with her son, Apollo, she knew she needed a change. After giving birth, Hali entered treatment and when she was ready to return home, LSI Early Childhood Services were there to provide support and walk alongside her. Her LSI worker, Gretchen, provided parenting education and resources, all while empowering Hali and making sure Apollo had a healthy home. Gretchen helped Hali keep track of Apollo’s growth to ensure he hit all his important developmental milestones. More than a year later, Hali is thriving. She is now in college and is also a sponsor to other women who are on the same path to recovery. Hali is busy keeping up with Apollo as he is learning to walk, and she is excited to see him continue to grow. “Gretchen has given me a lot of hope. She’s always had my back,” Hali says. “She’s my go-to person for any resource and it’s nice to have her in my corner.”
13. Hearing Aid Batteries – A St. Paul member has several hearing aid batteries that he would like to donate to anyone in need. They are size 312 and come in a package of 8. Please let the church office know if you would like some!
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net