Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements!
1. Please join us as we worship in-house this week, May 16, 9:30 am. You are also welcome to watch the service livestreamed at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday on our YouTube channel found at this link:
For the health and safety of all those attending in-house worship we ask those attending to adhere to our COVID safety guidelines that include:
- · Wearing a mask while on church property
- · Maintaining 6ft distance from people outside your household
- · Greeting each other with a wave or similar distanced sign of welcome
Pastor Ioan will be delivering a sermon based on John 1:35-46. Below is a devotion based on that Scripture:
The public ministry of Jesus begins with his recruiting disciples. We read in John’s story that Philip, a new disciple, is so impressed he invites a friend Nathanael to “come and see.” “We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote.” So begins the story of the gospel, a story in which we too belong.
What happens next to Jesus and the disciples is full of ups and downs, questions and uncertainties. When we were baptized and confirmed in faith, like these disciples, the future was being prepared before us. We probably didn’t know what we were getting ourselves into. But we were now on the road to follow Jesus. – Don Knudson
2. Congregation COVID Guidelines Update
There will be a short information meeting Sunday, May 16th, directly after 9:30am worship on the recent council vote on changes to St. Paul’s safety guidelines related to COVID. There will be an opportunity for Q&A and public comment.
After much discussion, information sharing along a variety of perspectives, and prayer, the council decided to take the following steps regarding worship:
St. Paul will worship outside through June 13th (weather permitting). Musicians are welcome to perform outside without masks. While outside, we will separate by comfort level; with a mask optional section on the musician side, and a mask preferred section. You will have the option to totally distance yourself from others, or you can choose to sit closer beside others. While 6ft distancing from those outside your household is still recommended, it is a choice that members can make. If inclement weather, service will be inside with masks on through June 13th. The Re-Entry Taskforce, Worship Committee and Council will revaluate with congregational input on how to proceed and progress after June 13th.
While masks are recommended in small group settings like bible study and Quilters, group members may choose to remove their masks if everyone is fully vaccinated (or has personally chosen to not receive the vaccine) and everyone present agrees.
This decision was made in a spirit of trust in God with our church’s future, love for the neighbor, and generous compromise amidst the diversity of opinions in our congregation.
3. Sunday Bible Study: In Person or on Zoom – Bible Study meets at 10:30 a.m. following Sunday morning worship. During the class, we invite questions, comments, and connections, as we expand upon the readings from the worship service. Join us either in-person, safely seated in the sanctuary, OR via zoom on which you can fully participate, using the link below.
To access Zoom on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. click the link below and enter the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode. Or call by phone the below number and then follow the prompts to dial the required Meeting ID number and the Passcode number.
Zoom Sunday Bible Study Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89973259796?pwd=ODNtTTlCZjd2ZHNyUHNRS1oyV0hYQT09
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
Dial-In by Phone:
+1 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 899 7325 9796
4. Virtual Sunday School – Sunday, May 16, 8 am on our YouTube channel – Call the kids over and have a short time for worship dedicated to our preschool to early/middle elementary age kids.
5. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, May 16, 9:30 am. – Greeter/Usher: Jason Darling, Nicole Darling; Reader: Jason Darling; Sound: Lisa Vossekuil; Videographer: Debi Martens; Musician: Clarice Blanchard; Council Leader: NEEDED; Counters: Wayne Martens, Dean Bartelt
Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, May 23, 9:30 am. – Greeter/Usher: Dean and Ann Bartelt; Reader: Ann Bartelt; Sound: NEEDED; Videographer: NEEDED; Musician: NEEDED; Singer: NEEDED; Council Leader: Rana Scarlett; Counters: Jen Acton, Kim Patience
6. Worship Service Helpers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30 worship, please use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul. You will be of big assistance to those who desire to worship in-person as we follow our safety protocols. Thank you for your service. (You can also call the church office to sign up: 462-4270)
7. Birdies for Charity – Kids born with a disability and their parents receive help from LSI through equipment, therapy, and other needs for the situation. Adults can be disabled too; LSI works to make their lives better as well. Remember your donation makes a difference to those in need!
Here’s how you can help: Write a check payable to LSI (Lutheran Services in Iowa) and in the memo write “Birdies for Charity.” Put in Twila’s church mailbox or in the locked box outside the office door. Deadline: May 30, 2021. If you have any questions, call Twila at 462-1505.
PS We have received four donations (thank you!) and I’m looking for more! Sammons Financial will send along an additional 10% to each donation!
8. Spring has Sprung! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!
9. Congratulations to our St. Paul 2021 High School Graduates: Paige Anderson, Mara Feirer, Claire Hulscher, Jackson Kimball, Amy Lehman, Dominic Peralez, Olivia Petsche & Alicia Stott. St. Paul will continue its tradition of gifting quilts to our graduating seniors. The quilts will be blessed at the 9:30 a.m. worship service on Sunday May 16th. The quilts will be delivered after worship throughout the following week. May the quilts be a reminder that wherever life takes them, the love of God and the love of their church surrounds them.
10. Congratulations to our St. Paul 2021 Confirmands: Anders Aasen, Brynn Acton, Colin Allen, Nile Benge, Jacob Gustafson, Madeline Kimball, Bowen Tadlock & Hank Wilmes.
All are invited to attend the confirmation worship at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday May 16th. Our confirmands will be helping lead the service. We are thankful for the lives and faith of our young people as they take this step in confessing the Christian faith we raised them in as their own faith.
11. Jaclyn and Rich Bales gave birth to July Kay Bales on May 11th. She weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and was 19 inches long. Grandparents Dan and Lonna Nielsen are over the top excited about this new role. Thank you to all who prayed for them during this time. As all grandparents would say ….she is the most beautiful little baby.
12. Chase and Carolyn Petsche welcome our church family to celebrate Olivia’s high school graduation on Saturday, May 22 from 4-7pm for an outdoor party at our home, 2456 167th Ct, Winterset. Olivia plans to attend Iowa State University to study piano performance and English in the fall.
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net