1. Come worship with us at 9:30 on Sunday! Due to technical issues, we are not able to livestream our worship service. You are welcome to watch the service on our YouTube channel on Monday.
Pastor Ioan will be delivering the message based on James 2:1-10, 14-17. Here is a devotion based on that text:
There are at least two ways to read Jesus’ response to the Syrophoenecian woman—as straight or sly. If straight, Jesus is annoyed and indignant because she is not a Jew and is therefore undeserving of his attention. If sly, Jesus is provoking a response he knew was in her.
I like both ways of reading it. I like to think that Jesus, like us, could be momentarily out of step with love and could learn from others. I also like that he may have already been inclined to help her but pretended to share the prejudice of his own people. Either way her response is remarkable. Luther admired her dogged faith: “A dog am I? Then give a dog her due!” he remarks.
Whether you prefer to imagine that Jesus intentionally provoked her, or that she gave him a lesson in love, she—even though regarded as someone outside “The Faith”—demonstrates a remarkable faith
2. Covid reminder: Social distancing and masks are optional. Please stay home to rest if you are not feeling well.
3. Wednesday Confirmation & God Squad Resuming: We are starting up our weekly Wednesday evening children and youth education programs on Sept. 15th. God Squad (4 yrs. to 6th grade) begins at 5:40 p.m. with a meal. Confirmation(7th & 8th grade) starts at 6 p.m. each Wednesday. Please sign-up for God Squad through our website home page. For confirmation please email this form to Pastor Ioan to let us know you child with be attending.
4. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, September 5, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers (need two): Jim & Pat Nelson; Reader: Jim Nelson; Sound: Jacque Mohs; Videographer: Tim Mohs; Musician: Clarice Blanchard; Singer: Sue Hansen; Counters: Wayne Martens, Steve Dick; Communion Bread: Karen Meyer; Communion Servers (need two): Nicole Darling
5.Sunday Bible Study: Bible Study meets in person only at 10:30 a.m. following Sunday morning worship in the front most classroom by the front office. During the class, we invite questions, comments, and connections, as we expand upon the readings from the worship service.
6. Worship Service Helpers/Volunteers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30service, we need you!Please consider helping with St. Paul’s return to normalcy by volunteering. We especially need two Communion Servers for each Sunday to sign-up at this time, but there are lots of positions that need filling! 3 Easy ways to do it:
1. Use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul.
2. Volunteer Kiosk: We have set-up kiosks in the entryway.
3. Call the Church office- 515-462-4270
6. Sunday Evening Bible Study: St. Paul is resuming a Sunday evening Christian education and discussion time on Sept 19th. We will begin at 5:30 p.m. with fellowship & prayer, and enter our study time at 6 p.m. We will be studying Romans for 4 sessions and then switch topics. Please consider if this opportunity to deepen your faithful life and connect to church members is what you may be needing coming out of these disconnected COVID times.
7. Choir: St. Paul Choir will be starting Wednesday, September 8 at 7:10. We are excited to see current members and enthusiastically welcome any new members as we sing praises to the Lord!
8. God’s Work. Our Hands. Our Feet. The quilters have volunteered to gift people quilts and a treat to show our love. This would include anyone that also is sheltered at home. We are asking people if they have any large or medium sized gift bags that would hold a quilt. Please bring them to church before the special day!
9. Transportation Ministry: St. Paul has begun an ongoing Transportation Ministry. Our first recipients on this transportation ministry are Ronnie and Shirley Addy who need transportation to Ronnie’s kidney dialysis three days a week in south Des Moines at Fresenius Kidney Care, 6651 SW 9th Street. His appointments begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at approximately 2:30 p.m. He needs to be picked up no later than 9:40 at North Ward, 415 N. 2nd Street, Winterset, at the south door of the east building. Ronnie will be unable to get into a high vehicle. Please contact Shirley with any questions 515-468-0121. Ronnie’s cell is 515-468-1982. You can choose to take Ronnie, pick him up, or do both.
Please use this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-transportation to SignUp Genius to indicate when you will are willing to drive Ronnie to and/or from his appointment. Please include your cell phone number in the comments. This is a long-term ministry, so check back often as SignUp Genius is updated.
10. God’s Work. Our Hands. Our Feet.Sunday, September 26, 2021: St. Paul will participate in the ELCA God’s Work Our Hands day of service on September 26, 2021. We have tentatively identified projects within the community to show our neighborly love. These projects involve general cleanup of grounds and residential buildings, as well as private residences. They involve things like weeding, trash pickup, trimming, and minor repairs. Watch for more specific sign-up information next week.
The day will start with a special worship service and blessing at 9:30. We will then go out into the community to provide service between 10:30 and 12:00-12:30. Lunch will be served from 12:00-1:00. If needed, projects can be completed after lunch. You may also choose to participate in the CROP Walk, which will follow at 2:00, thus God’s Work Our Feet!
You may still sign up for a T-shirt at this link https://forms.gle/1FLZYSCWYfauSpV99. You may address questions to Ann at email@example.com or 515-418-3565.
We look forward to participating in “God’s Work Our Hands Our Feet” day of service, joining over 9,100 ELCA congregations across the country. Thousands of members will engage in service work to make a positive change in our communities, build and deepen relationships, and share God’s love. Join us as we do God’s work with our hands and feet!
11. Part-Time Office Manager St. Paul Lutheran Church seeking qualified candidates for 20 hours a week Office Manager position. Click here for Job Description. Apply with a brief one page (no more than 200ish words) letter of interest to Pastor Ioan for consideration. Applications to be collected and reviewed until the position is filled.
12. Meals from the Heartland: Please sign up this weekend at church or give me a call. They are requesting that we confirm our number of people as soon as possible! The meals we will be packaging will be going to Haiti! Times were filling up fast so I took the Saturday morning from 9-11 on September 4! I signed us up for 29 people. It will be at their West Des Moines location again this year! Hair nets will be provided! Masks are optional at this time but I would recommend Mask! We will be packing larger food packs this year, some heavier lifting will be required! You’ll be standing for 2 hours so wear comfortable shoes! Families welcome, children should be at least 6 years old and accompanied by an adult! We will plan to meet Saturday morning, September 4 at the church be there ready to leave by 8:15. Sign up at church or call me! Please bring a friend! Learn more about Meals from the Heartland at. mealsfromtheheartland.org.
13. Wednesday Confirmation & God Squad Resuming: We are starting up our weekly Wednesday evening children and youth education programs on Sept. 15th. God Squad (4 yrs. to 6th grade) begins at 5:40 p.m. with a meal. Confirmation(7th & 8th grade) starts at 6 p.m. each Wednesday. Please sign-up for God Squad through our website homepage: www.stpaullutheranchurch.net. For Confirmation please email this form to Pastor Ioan to let us know you child with be attending.
14. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, September 12, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers (need two): Cheryl Bales & Liz Hansen; Reader: Ted Leonard; Sound: Wayne Martens; Videographer: Debi Martens; Musician: Georgine Bellamy; Singer: Beth Sunds; Counters: Dean Bartelt; Communion Bread: Ruthanne Korte; Communion Servers (need two): Nicole Darling
15. Free Sunshine! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, and get your dose of Vitamin D, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!