Happy Birthday to Dalene! Good morning. Here are the Friday announcements.
1. I have resigned my position as Office Manager at St. Paul and have accepted the Adminstrative Assistant position at the Presbyterian Church here in Winterset. My last day at St. Paul will be August 20. I’ve enjoyed my time at St. Paul and thank you all for your guidance and patience as I worked through new technology and electronic applications. I wish all of you grace and love. – Dalene
2. Come worship with us at 9:30 on Sunday! Due to technical issues, we are not able to livestream our worship service. You are welcome to watch the service on our YouTube channel on Monday.
Pastor Ioan will be delivering the message based on John 6:35, 41-51. Here is a devotion based on that text:
Jesus speaks to a crowd of people raised on the stories of wilderness wanderings and the wonders of God. To them he says, “your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.” A provocative and troublesome preacher is this Jesus. Does he dare to suggest that God might provide something even greater than that most wondrous of gifts, bread rained down from heaven?
The word “manna” comes from the Hebrew meaning, “what is it?” The people’s reaction to this heavenly bread became its very name. And now the people hear Jesus and say, “who is he?” His words are challenging food, yet they come from the One who brings true life to the world.
Jesus challenges us, too, to see beyond our expectations, beyond what we think we know of God. His words provoke our questions and feed us with hope; for in Christ Jesus, we know true life. – Katy McCallum
3. Congregation COVID Guidelines Update – Masks are optional for all services and ministries at St Paul. Please come, worship, and be fed-we’ve missed you! We are also continuing to livestream Sunday services on our youtube channel, or you can catch the recording posted the next day. If you want to wear a mask, or keep some distance between yourself and others at any service or ministry, for any reason, please do so with St. Paul’s full blessing.
4. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, August 8, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers: Liz Hansen, NEEDED; Reader: Dick Anderson; Sound: Wayne Martens; Videographer: Debi Martens; Musician: Clarice Blanchard; Singer: NEEDED; Counters: Dean Bartelt, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: Ruthanne Korte; Communion Servers (need two): Rainy Gibbens, Marriah Allen
5. Upcoming Worship Helpers: Sunday, August 15, 9:30 am. – Greeters/Ushers: Jen & Tom Acton; Reader: Ann Bartelt; Sound: Jacque Mohs; Videographer: Tim Mohs; Musician: Clarice Blanchard; Singer: NEEDED; Counters: Kim Patience, Lisa Vossekuil; Communion Bread: Genelle Thompson; Communion Servers (need two): Marilyn Mount, NEEDED
6.Sunday Bible Study: Bible Study meets in person only at 10:30 a.m. following Sunday morning worship in the front most classroom by the front office. During the class, we invite questions, comments, and connections, as we expand upon the readings from the worship service.
7. Semi-Annual Meeting St. Paul’s semi-annual meeting will be held in person, at the church, on August 29th, 2021 at 10:30. Items on the agenda include updating the budget, and ministry reports (Youth, Vision, “God’s Work, Our Feet”, Pastor’s report).
8. Transportation Ministry – St. Paul has begun an ongoing Transportation Ministry. Our first recipients on this transportation ministry are Ronnie and Shirley Addy who need transportation to Ronnie’s kidney dialysis three days a week in south Des Moines at Fresenius Kidney Care, 6651 SW 9th Street. His appointments begin at 10:30 a.m. and end at approximately 2:30 p.m. He needs to be picked up no later than 9:40 at North Ward, 415 N. 2nd Street, Winterset, at the south door of the east building. Ronnie will be unable to get into a high vehicle. Please contact Shirley with any questions 515-468-0121. Ronnie’s cell is 515-468-1982. You can choose to take Ronnie, pick him up, or do both.
Please use this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-transportation to SignUp Genius to indicate when you will are willing to drive Ronnie to and/or from his appointment. Please include your cell phone number in the comments. This is a long-term ministry, so check back often as SignUp Genius is updated.
9. Part-Time Office Manager St. Paul Lutheran Church seeking qualified candidates for 20 hours a week Office Manager position. Click here for Job Description. Apply with a brief one page (no more than 200ish words) letter of interest to Pastor Ioan for consideration. Applications to be collected and reviewed until the position is filled.
10. Part-Time Tech Support St. Paul is going to be hiring a high school student to focus on some of the technology to support our pastor and our mission. We think this could be a position filled by high school youth as a very part-time job. The student would assist with technology in advertising (weekly, monthly and special events). It would be helpful to know something of Doodle polls, Sign Up Genius, and have computer trouble-shooting skills. For youth with access to the internet and a computer, some hours of this job can be done from home.
It would also be helpful if the student could be at the church on Sundays a little before the service time to assist with any technology problems that occur with getting the service live-streamed and recorded. If your youth is interested in the position, please have them submit a brief one page (no more than 200ish words) letter of interest by Monday, August 9th to Pastor Ioan. There will be no interviews. We hope to get things going quickly with a decision by Wednesday, August 11th. Hope there is interest out there for this small but helpful role.
11. God Squad – St. Paul wants to bring back our 4 year old through 6th grade Christian education ministry on Wednesday evenings, which we call God Squad. God Squad is 5:40p-7:00p on Wednesdays throughout the school year starting September 15th, 2021. Thank you to the many who volunteered to prepare meals, lead activities or teach classes. The last role needed is a God Squad Coordinator. The program is set-up and volunteers recruited, but things happen along the way and we need a point person to help smooth out any hiccups throughout the year. Please contact Pastor Ioan if you have questions about the coordinator position or wish to fulfill this helpful administrative role.
12. VBS August 11th and 12th: It’s that time of year again and we are so excited to be able to have Vacation Bible School (VBS), in person!! VBS at St. Paul is held each summer, with curriculum and counselors provided by Riverside Bible Camp, as well as volunteers from St. Paul. VBS is open to students going into 1st through 6th grade. The program is from 9:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. August 11th and 12th and includes music, drama, Bible study, science, arts & crafts, outdoor games, and more. There is no charge for the program; however, non-perishable donations are welcome for our community. The theme this year will be ‘Brand New’, based upon the scripture from Romans 6:4. “Just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
- All children entering 1st-6th grade are welcome
- Lunch, Snack and Beverage will be provided
13. Worship Service Helpers/Volunteers Needed! If you are able and willing to help with our 9:30service, we need you!Please consider helping with St. Paul’s return to normalcy by volunteering. We especially need two Communion Servers for each Sunday to sign-up at this time, but there are lots of positions that need filling! 3 Easy ways to do it:
1. Use Sign-Up Genius! It’s easy to access and will even send you a reminder of your commitment. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0b48afaf22a6ff2-stpaul.
2. Volunteer Kiosk: We have set-up kiosks in the entryway.
3. Call the Church office- 515-462-4270
14. Free Sunshine! If you would like to help mow the church lawn this season, and get your dose of Vitamin D, please use Sign Up Genius to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0B48AFAF22A6FF2-20201 Thank you!
Church office phone: 515-462-4270
Church office email: Office@stpaullutheranchurch.net
Pastor Ioan Ittu: 515-419-5224
Pastor Ioan email: Pastorioan@stpaullutheranchurch.net